Some kinds of cancers run in families and genetic counseling can determine what diseases may be inherited or increase your risk for hereditary cancer.
As a member of your healthcare team, the genetic counselor will
- Review your family medical history and assess your risk for hereditary cancers.
- Explain the risk of hereditary cancers and the chance of finding a mutation through genetic testing.
- Discuss the benefits and limitations of genetic testing.
- Interpret genetic test results and explain what they mean for you.
- Review and discuss the medical management options available to you.
- Help you make an informed decision about genetic testing and follow-up care.