By developing health behaviors and removing potential harm from your life before conceiving you can increase your chances of a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
A woman should adopt the following behaviors to help her stay healthy before pregnancy. These behaviors pose many risks, including premature delivery, low birth weight and birth defects.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Quit smoking.
- Stay away from illegal drugs and prescription drugs not prescribed for her.
- Fully cook all meat.
- Avoid cat feces and do not change a cat's litter box.
- Avoid contact with all rodents, including pet hamsters, mice and guinea pigs.
- Avoid sitting in hot tubs and saunas.
- Avoid hazardous chemicals.
- Avoid eating fish that can be high in mercury.