Influenza, commonly referred to as "flu", is a contagious disease caused by virus. Typically, influenza is transmitted through the air by coughs or sneezes or can also be transmitted by direct contact with nasal secretions or contact with contaminated surfaces.
Influenza Signs & Symptoms
Symptoms of Influenza may include:
- Sore throat
- Nasal congestion
- Body aches
- Muscle pains
Influenza Immunization Recommendations
The single best way to protect against the flu is to get vaccinated each year.
Immunization is recommended for:
- Children from 6 months through 18 years of age
- Anyone 50 years of age or older
- Pregnant women and women who will be pregnant during influenza season
- Anyone with long-term health problems
- Anyone living in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
- Healthcare providers
- Anyone who lives with or cares for people at high risk for influenza-related complications.
- Anyone who wants to reduce the likelihood of becoming ill with influenza or spreading influenza to others.
Influenza Links & Resources
The links provided below offer more information about Influenza and Influenza immunizations.