Pneumonia is an infection caused by bacteria and causes blood infections, pneumonia, meningitis and otitis media. Pneumococcal bacteria are spread by coughing, sneezing or from person to person through close contact.
Pneumonia Immunization Recommendations
Pneumococcal vaccine is very good at preventing severe disease, hospitalization, and death. However it is not guaranteed to prevent infection and symptoms in all people.
Immunization is recommended for:
- All adults 65 years of age and older.
- Anyone 2 through 64 years of age who has a long-term health problem
- Anyone 2 through 64 years of age who has a disease or condition that lowers the body’s resistance to infection
- Anyone 2 through 64 years of age who is taking a drug or treatment that lowers the body’s resistance to infection
- Any adult 19 through 64 years of age who is a smoker or has asthma.
- Residents of nursing homes or long-term care facilities.
Pneumonia Links & Resources
The links provided below offer more information about Pneumonia and Pneumonia immunizations.